Sunday, May 06, 2012

So this is 40...

I was not really too freaked out about turning 40 - looking at it as just another birthday. Had lots of thoughts about what I want to accomplish in this decade.  My teens were school, my 20's starting a family and career, 30's was strengthening those areas.  I don't believe I'm done with those by any stretch of the imagination, but did get some things done in my career that I couldn't have imagined when I was starting out.  Getting the job as the clinical director in October of last year has lead to a bunch of new headaches and a ton of new things to learn, but I'm finding my way through it.  I don't know that I can advance any further and at this point, would not want to.  So, maybe my 40's is going to be about going back to some things from earlier in my life - maybe try the writing thing and actually really try, not just half-ass it.  Yep, go full assed.  Would love to have a couple books published in this decade of my life.  I had the one chapter published, but that was more career advancement, not what this would be.

Birthday itself was very nice.  The day before, my team decorated my office and had a potluck for me.  Was a very nice surprise.  I did not tell anyone there because I wanted to low-key things.  

I'm listening to the iPod Nano that Amy and the kids got for me.  Was not expecting that.  Had actually been thinking of taking some b-day money and getting a new Shuffle, an upgrade to a 4 GB model.  Instead, have the new Nano with 16 GB.  Am adjusting to the touch screen and am constantly worried I'm going to drop it - will end up getting a case for it to help me feel more secure with it.  Anyway, I have almost 2000 songs on it right now and tons of space to go.  I also got the Wii Lego Pirates of the Caribbean game from Amy and the kids.  Have played it quite a bit w. Cole.  In part because he has been sick - needing regular nebulizer treatments the past couple of days - I am taking the 1:30/2:00 AM tx. the last two days so Amy can get some sleep.  I am a night owl anyway, so it is not a huge deal. 

Was not surprised on Thursday to not have Dad acknowledge the day.  Got a message on my FB wall from his wife late in the evening that they had forgotten all about it.  Yep.    Given that I think he has only remembered my birthday on my birthday one time since Mom died (and that was on a day that my b-day and the kids' dance recital were on the same day).  So, not surprised.  Was disappointed, but not surprised.  

On to happier things.  Dance recital in something like 11 hours.  Kids are pumped. I'm excited to watch them perform.

I'm also excited to see what I can do with my 40's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home