Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy New Year. I’m still sick. I think we all ended up getting hit by a couple things at once. The good thing is the kids seemed to be hit first and are getting over the worst of things now. That bodes well for Amy and I, I think. I half suspect now that I have tonsillitis. I woke up around 2 this morning and had this awful feeling and taste (kind of yeasty) in my throat. I gargled with some water and it seemed better. The problem is that I’ve felt drained all day long. I even closed my eyes for a second on the drive to work and almost ended up in the ditch. My eyes were droopy all day long. I think we all got so sick as the stress of the past year caught up with us. I know I spent the cold and flu season last year fighting to be sure I’d not come down with something as that would mean I’d be unable to see Mom.

Dad called on New Year’s Day. Another holiday without hearing Mom wish me a happy… whatever. Dad didn’t go anywhere on New Year’s Eve, ended up staying at home and watching football. He continues to struggle with the loss, as do I. I emailed Dad on New Year’s Eve and was crying the whole time I was writing him. 2004 just sucked so bad in so many ways. The only time we weren’t in fear of Mom dying was in the last few weeks of the year, when she was already gone. The best memory I have of Mom in 2004 is when she and Dad came down to Yankton to Riverboat Days. I know she had fun sitting in the sun and watching the parade. I hope that was a good memory for her as well.

I spent part of the weekend on eBay looking for ornaments for Amy, the kids, and myself. Mom would buy us an ornament every year. She started doing this the year after I graduated high school, said she didn’t know why she was starting then when she should have started when we were kids. I usually got a Coca-Cola themed ornament (with a few exceptions), Cole got dogs, Accalia got angels, Amy got a little of everything. I want to keep the tradition going. I found a couple that Mom would have liked for everyone. Maybe I’ll take over that bit of Christmas shopping.

Oh, slightly scary thing. Dad is going in because his doctor wants to remove a red spot from Dad’s face. Dad had skin cancer in the past but made a full recovery. If it is cancer on his face, it is likely the same type, which means a good prognosis. I don’t know what Dad would do if it is a more aggressive cancer. I know how much he misses Mom right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home