Saturday, December 27, 2008

Back from Christmas and I'm happy I don't get back to the rat race until Sunday. Means I can sleep in a bit tomorrow and relax a little. We left for Amy's folks on Monday. The trip was uneventful. Tylan actually travelled pretty well. There was one rough patch, but the other kids all seemed to have some travel that was nothing but a rough patch.

We didn't do a whole lot in Mankato. Saw some friends in addition to family. Accalia did great in the children's service on Christmas Eve. Ella freaked out a bit - I think it was all the people in the church. After the service, the kids got to open some presents. Accalia got a Littlest Pet Shop planner that has been with her most of the time since. That and her new pajamas (our family tradition) were probably her favorites. Cole got some action figures (Green Lantern and some Ben 10 figures). Ella got her very own ballerina bag with a new dance outfit and a tricycle from her aunt and uncle (made for some packing issues, but I got through it). Tylan got a couple little toys and an outfit or three. I think the nieces and nephews liked what we gave them.

On Christmas day, we traveled to my Dad's house. His girlfriend, Joan, was there, as was my brother and his family. Oh, did I mention that Dad and Joan had dated last spring and summer, ending with her taking out a restraining order against him and emailing me the day before Tylan was born, asking me to get Dad to leave her alone? Yeah, a little awkward. She didn't talk with me a whole bunch. I tend to be a bit quiet with people I don't know or trust, but I've also been around people with bad experiences with mental health providers. Didn't get that vibe from Joan, but still am on alert with her. Didn't get a lot of time to visit. it is tough when there is someone "new" in the house. It continues to be tough in that house on Christmas. Mom was on my mind almost constantly. I continue to notice that Dad hasn't gotten rid of Mom's house coats, which remain on the door of the bathroom all the master bedroom. I don't think he uses that room except for laundry. Speaking of Mom, I started to break down during the Christmas service during one of the carols. I love what the season means because it reinforces for me where Mom is and why she went there (feel the same at Easter). In any case, I pulled it together.

We discovered that Cole and I have something in common - an allergy to dogs. I am essentially desensitized (thanks to my folks and the 10 + years of shots and treatments). Cole does not have that luxury. Dad's dog has free run of the house when we are not there (when we are there, he is in a kennel, b/c he has gone after the kids in the past). Anyway, after dinner, Cole lay down on one of the beds upstairs, using a folded comforter as a pillow. The comforter was full of dog hair. Cole got the itchy eyes, started sniffling and sneezing, and his breathing got labored. We got him in a room where the dog rarely goes and washed all the bedding in that room. Unfortunately, there were no stores open in the bustling metropolis of 270 people. We contemplated a trip home, but decided to stay there. Cole ended up sleeping pretty well. We got some Benadryl meltaways today and will be taking them everywhere with us. That frickin' dog is so potent with the dander that MY long dormant allergies were triggered a bit. Cole improved throughout the day and was brave in trying one of the meltaways before bed. He hates taking any medicine, but did okay with it (which is great because it will mean no fighting him on it later).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home