Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Have gained a new appreciation of Amy's job in doing the paper route. I can see how one could adjust to waking at 3 AM every day and could adapt to the climate, but doing that day in, day out w. just Sundays and a handful of major holidays (New Year's Day, Christmas, Memorial Day and Independence Day) off (if they don't fall on a Sunday, that is). I can see why she likes being out there at that time of day as it IS quiet and peaceful. Anyway, I am surviving doing the route, but have not been enjoying it much the last few days.

Woke up on Monday to about 8" of snow in the city. It basically snowed from early Sunday AM through the night (and finally stopped sometime last night). The main street that composes Amy's route was clear of snow, but the side streets were not and no one had their walks/drive ways cleared. So I had to hoof it through some large drifts both today and yesterday and had a couple of jolts when I'd reach stairs that I couldn't see under the snow (my excuse as I tend to be clumsy). Also had to contend with the snow left by the plows. Got stuck once on the route. Luckily had my shovel w. me and was able to dig out and get moving again. I think the route took me 3.0 hours total. I managed to get that down to about 2.5 today. Oh, and I still suck and banding or bagging the papers. Tomorrow is the Shopper (free paper for everyone on the route) day. Dreading that.

The Amy update is mostly good. We made a family trip to Wal-Mart yesterday for groceries. She had to put the leg up when we got back and woke up early this AM w. pain in the knee. I think she likely overdid things. She does test and retest what she is able to do. I think the recovery is slower than she'd hoped but I think she is progressing well. She took one of the pain meds. she was prescribed today and ended up puking. I think this is the second time she took the med. and the first time she has reacted like this. I do think the last time she took it, she went to sleep right away. Anyway, am frustrated as there is nothing I can do for her. She sees a PA tomorrow to get the stitches out. She had been saying she would take the route back on Thurs., is now saying Monday. I'm telling her to take her time and be sure she is going to be physically able to perform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home